|This is my attempt at trying to make our knife block look nice. This was painted by me a few years ago. It was supposed to look like an apple..LOL! :) Bleh|
|Enter....Spray Paint. I think I have spray painted everything lately. I actually took this picture before I decided to go with matte paint instead of satin.|
I had to cover up the Henckel brand logo to make it smooth. My husband wasn't so happy about this though. He is proud of his Henckel knives. I just used some wood filler and smoothed it on with a great tool..my finger! lol I did not have a putty knife handy.
I used another great tool that I had available...a piece of cardboard from a 12 pack of soda...to scrape off the excess. That is just how I roll! Let it dry for about 15 minutes.
After it was dry, I sanded it smooth with my sanding block (I think 220 sand paper block). I also used my palm sander to sand the entire block. Make sure to wipe away any dust with a cloth after sanding.
Spray LIGHT COATS of spray paint over the entire thing. This is what happens when you get in a hurry and try to paint it on too much..YIKES! So..after that dried, I had to re-sand and then spray it again. I sprayed about 2 coats. Let it dry for 20 minutes.
While it was drying, I went outside to water my flowers and saw the most amazing sunset and HAD to get a picture! Beautiful!!
After it was all dry, I got my sanding block and went to work distressing the edges. I heart the distressed look!
I thought about how I was going to add some flair. I got out my paint and brush and tried to paint on a monogram...WRONG. I can now see why everyone is soooo fond of vinyl lettering. I could not paint a W for the life of me. It looked terrible, so I wiped it all off. I do not have a Cricut (I know, I know...maybe Santa will bring me one!), so I did the next best thing. I went to my computer, grabbed some scrapbook paper, and printed off an outline of a W and cut it out.
TIP: These little nail scissors work great to cut out small letters.
Next, enter my two best friends....Mod and Podge
I put down a little matte mod podge and placed my letter. I let it dry for a few minutes and then went over the whole area with mod podge.
The letter looks white in this photo, but it is the green/tan color of the scrapbook paper in the above picture.
AFTER!!! I really think this is one of my favorite projects. It was so easy and made a HUGE difference in my kitchen. I smile every time I walk past it. The granite tile...not so much. That is another subject all together. Those grout lines irritate me.
Here it is with some of the knives back in the block (the rest were in the dishwasher)!
Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave me a comment, I read them all! :)
I AM LINKED TO.....